Who knew you could make sour cream out of cashews! I'm just as surprised as you are, trust me and it tastes pretty good too! NOTE: PLEASE BE SURE TO USE A HIGH POWERED BLENDER! I used our Ninja blender, which would have worked great IF I made a bigger batch. I ended up having to shake the blender to get the ingredients moving around properly. Unfortunately, our Ninja Bullet is in storage and it would have been the perfect tool to get the desired consistency without all the hassle. I'm going to play with this one a little more, so stay tuned. Try this one out and let me what you think!
- 1/2 cup soaked raw cashews (soak in warm water for minimum of 3 hours, best soaked overnight to get rid of the grainy feeling when blended)
- 1/4 cup almond milk (you can probably use any kind of milk you'd like)
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast (to taste)
- 1/2 lemon for squeezed juice
- 1 tbsp. vegetable stock
- 1/4-1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4-1/2 tsp garlic powder
- touch of salt
Once your cashews are soft, combine all the ingredients into a high powered blender and blend the ingredients until you have reached the desired consistency. I recommend using a blender with blades very close to the bottom so the ingredients mix well. The Ninja Bullet and Vitamix are great blenders to use in order to achieve the right consistency. If you're going to make a small batch like this one, the Ninja Bullet would probably be best so you're not just blending air.